6.16.2009

Big Sean: Mixtape Review


Today's review: Big Sean, an up-and-coming artist under Kanye West's label, G.O.O.D. Music, from Detroit, Michigan.

Now, the first time I saw him was at the Def Jam party at Brooklyn Sneaker Box and to be quite honest, while he was performing, I was barely paying attention. I was more focused on the Nuvo being served at the open bar *guilty face*.

Anyways, I took his mixtape CD, "U Kno Big Sean", home and popped it in the laptop to give it a listen. I've got to admit, it was pretty good. Hell, it had to be if I sat down and listened to the whole thing in its entirety in ONE sitting. And then jumped straight the computer to blog about it. Then again, it is 3 a.m. and I could have just been hella bored. Anywho, the CD has 31 tracks [yeah, I know I'm crazy for the one sitting thing] and though he has a few featured artists on it, Sean did pretty well on his own. He featured Mike Posner, Pat Piff, Earlly Macmillion, Keely, Santigold, Jay K, Dusty McFly, and Jwan.

With a swag and voice similar to Drake and obvious influence from Kanye, Big Sean embodies nothing but the making of a success story. So far, I'd have to say my favorites are "Intro", "Desire, Want, & Need", "Who Knows", "Mr. Incredible", and "Say You Will". Ain't that alot of favorites??

I believe his debut album "Finally Famous" is set to be released sometime in 2009. I see great potential in Big Sean. Looks like Kanye has good taste. Hopefully the general public does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment